Waris Pathan is an India politician. He was born on 29 November 1968 in Mumbai. Mumbai, Maharashtra and an MLA of the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen in Byculla, Mumbai. Pathan is also an Advocate of all the High Courts in India as a Defence counsel in Criminal matters. He is a prominent leader of All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen. He is an elected member of Legislative assembly of India from Constituency Byculla.
10 things about Waris/ Warith Pathan:
01. He is the son of a retired high court judge namely Yousaf Pathan.
02. The entry of 48-year-old Waris Pathan, son of a retired judge, in politics was accidental.
03. In 2015, he took up the high-profile case of actor Salman Khan. The actor was earlier sentenced to five years in jail for a 2002 hit-and-run accident that left one man dead and four others injured. Senior counsel Amit Desai, a Mumbai-based lawyer replaced Salve for a short time in the Salman Khan trial.
04. He is a prominent leader of AIMIM (All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul Muslimeen).
05. He is the member of Maharashtra Assembly.
06. He is the first member of any legislative assembly who refused to say ”Bharat Mata ki Jay”.
07. He was the first lawyer to get an accused in a TADA case out on interim bail on medical grounds. The Supreme Court of India has upheld the bail order in favour of the accused (Abdul Hamid Birya v/s state).
08. He is a staunch advocate of Muslim unity in India and he is raising the slogan of unity on every platform.
09. He had been refusing to sing and stand in respect to the famous national anthem ”Bande Mataram”. He acknowledge the national anthem as a prejudiced anthem.
10. On 16 March 2016, Pathan was unanimously suspended from the Maharashtra Assembly on charges of disrespecting the country and anti-nationalism for refusing to chant the slogan Bharat Mata Ki Jai when asked to do so in the assembly by Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Ram Kadam. He later said, “I love my country. I was born here and I will die here, he even said jai hind jai bharat Hindustan zindabad but will not say bharat mata ki jai. I can never dream of insulting my country. Don’t judge anyone’s love for the country by just one slogan.”